Skip to main content

Airborne: Stuckey - The Scholar-Warrior


Mo! to a Black Scholar with a Black Mission!

The first time I'd ever got on a plane was to go to a lecture by this giant of a man. I didn't know who he was; I was sent to represent his friend and protege, Dr. (Sister) Sonja Hayes Stone, who was chair of the newly forming African and African Studies Program (AAS) that would become a department at UNC-CH.


Sonja Hayes Stone
When I showed pictures from my trip which included pictures of clouds under the wing of the plane. She said: "That was your first flight, huh?" She laughed. Then we got down to what I learned from Stuckey. She told me stories of their work together in Chicago. I became a Stuckey-ite for life. I threw myself into understanding the National Negro Convention Movement and Black Nationalism of the 18th and 19th centuries.

Years before, my mother had moved me away from the New York just before my teenage years where I would have been engaged with the burgeoning cultural nationalist movements in NY like The East or the NOI, or the Panthers. Winston-Salem had significant and relatively little Black Panther Party activity. Fayetteville, NC - where I turned 15 years old - had none.

It was a military town known to insiders as "Fayette-Nam." Nelson Johnson and SOBU reached us from Greensboro via the Fayetteville State University chapter of the Student Organization for Black Unity (SOBU). From them, our newly formed high school movement learned about Malcolm X Liberation University in Durham, NC. I celebration of Malcolm and in protest against our racist high school - Terry Sanford, Ron George, Jabulani (Larry William) and I skipped school to find Malcolm X Liberation University. My '64 Pontiac Star Chief was more than up to the task. Unfortunately, we were a little late. The University had closed its doors.

A few years later I was to get reconnected to the precursors to the power Black Power and Black Nationalist movements through the seminal work of Brother Sterling Stuckey. At the otherwise boring historical presentation, I was riveted to his every word. His portrayal of H.H. Garnet, David Walker, Martin Delany, Alexander Crummell ushed me into a world of Black nationalist ideology that I couldn't have imaged. It also corrected a major misconception - that because our times were "modern," we were more advanced.

Not! The clarity and courage of these 19th Century brothers and sisters were instructive and humbling.

While my formal academic work at UNC-CH was under the auspices of the Speech-Communications Dept, I was working as the first graduate student assistant under Sonja in AAS. It was perfect. My focus in Speech-Communication was attitude development and change; in AAS it was OurStory. This is the combination that guides my work today. The first course that I taught as a graduate student in AAS was based on the Stuckey's dissertation - The Ideological Origins of Black Nationalism. The course shared the title. Today, AYA (www.AYAED.COM) youth and adults learn about his works through courses like "Economic Conundrum" where we use his book "Slave Culture."

To Sister Sonja and Brother Sterling Stuckey I'm forever indebted. I pay that debt the only way I know how - by living out and passing on their works, discoveries, insights, and love for our people and African redemption.

Travel well, my brother, travel well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Images in the Black Mind - The Color of Christ and White Supremacy

Wekesa O. Madzimoyo Take a look at Roland Martin's take on the white Jesus issue. Here "To whom much is given....” This one is for my Christian family and friends who may have slipped back into the "color of Christ doesn't matter" thinking. I don't have this discussion much anymore. Dr. Yosef Ben Jochannan settled it for me 40 + years ago, and I've not looked back since. (Dr. Ben's link at the end of this post.) In fact, I've moved forward. But this post isn't about me or religion, per se, and it's certainly not about getting you to change your faith. It's more about "racial scripting" than scripture. It's about religion as a tool for white supremacy and the domination of our people - African people. It's about our believing that God's loves for us (and God's presence in us) is not dependent on us bowing to or ignoring images of white Jesus/God/angels. It's about us caring about the psycholo

Falsification of African Consciousness - Weekend Academy Special

Web-Conference Weekend  Academy Special! AYA offers many courses designed to prepare adults and youth for advanced historical, social, and psychological analysis and synthesis. Useful for in both the university of life and academic universities, these courses will meet together on the weekends on starting Saturday, Sept. 27th. Register today! Due to popular demand, we'll offer two special courses as a part of our national web-conference-based Weekend Academy so that student who attend other institutions, home school students, and adults who work can partake. The two courses are: Falsification of African Consciousness based on the work of Dr. Amos N. Wilson The course is an introduction to Amos N. Wilson - his mission and his works. The course explores:  How  Eurocentric history-writing rationalizes and justifies European oppression of Afrikan peoples How that process creates a  false Afrikan consciousness - one possessed by an alien consciousness that serves

2020 Community Warrior-Healer-Builder Love Honoree: Mama Nobantu Ankoanda

We are proud to announce the 2020 Black Love Day Community Warrior-Healer-Builder Love Honorees. In this oppressive environment to fight, heal, and build are revolutionary acts. One of the three Community Warrior-Healer-Builder Love honorees is Mama Nobantu Ankoanda Before you can say “lets,” Mama Nobantu is in the van saying, “C’mon, let’s go.” Before you can say, “I need…” Nobantu has opened her house, extended her hand and her heart. She’s a Warrior-Healer-Building Mama! Her children grew up knowing that their mother belonged to our community. Mama Nobantu Ankoanda is an educator, teacher, former principal and founder of Afrikan centered community-based institutions in Palo Alto, California and in the Atlanta, GA Metro area. Mama Ankoanda is also Dr. Mama Nobantu. She holds a doctoral degree in Education, a Master of Arts degrees in Elementary Education and a BA in Social work. She’s earned this Black Community Warrior-Healer-Builder award because she’s been spreading love