Skip to main content

An interesting experience - a tale of two homeschool open houses

An interesting experience - a tale of two homeschool open houses

Greetings,

This week I attended two open houses.  The experience was telling.  At the first open house, which was very well-attended, initially, I was the only African-American parent in attendance.  Everyone was warm and inviting and the class offerings looked interesting.  But I wondered to myself if the history, the literature or the math would highlight any of the African contribution? What would my children go away feeling and thinking at the end of the class? I’m sure they would learn, but where would they see themselves.  Then two other Black parents showed up.  As Black folks tend to do (or at least some of us), I tried to make eye contact so that I could greet them.  Both women went out of their way to avoid eye contact and not speak.  Nor did they acknowledge each other.  Interesting, I thought.  But upon deeper reflection, as I watched these women go and embrace others in attendance who did not look like me, I began to feel quite sad.  I wondered what in their experience made them uncomfortable with greeting someone who clearly looked like them.  Two days later, I attended an open house for a web-based, online African-Centered Homeschool program that was not well-attended.  Yet, the experience was starkly different.  I knew 3 of the people in attendance, but they did not know each other.  We shared openly about experiences related to being wounded in our educational experience.  I learned so much about what education really is – and it’s not just about finding the right class for your child.  I learned that real education brings the family closer together, it does not divide them.  Instead, it cultivates a child who deeply respects the parent and strengthens family, cultural and community bonds.  There aren’t many programs whose goal it is to not only educate, but also to heal oppression and re-build families.  After the second open house, I had a better understanding of why those women may have behaved in that way.  Could they have been wounded too? Probably so.  I feel more compassion for them now and less disdain.  I am also more firm in knowing that any and everything that I use to educate my child must be fortifying him so that when goes out into the world, he never has to question himself or try to prove himself to anyone.  He will be standing on a strong foundation.  Baba Wekesa gave a great example of what it means to be standing on a firm foundation.  He used the example of cooking.  He said that if you feel good about your cooking and you taste someone else’s food that tastes good, you can enjoy it, appreciate it, applaud it.  But it doesn’t make you question whether or not you deserve to be in the kitchen.  The same with education.  If you know your history, your contribution and you walk in it, then if you end up in a learning environment where no one looks like you, you never have to question your right to be there or compare yourself to others.  You know that it is your birthright! I did NOT feel that way growing up. My educational wounding began in 2nd grade.  I still remember their names:  Kendra Phul, Paula Coward and Susie Steinbach.  These are real names! I was Level 1 tracked and one of the few Blacks.  Naturally, all of my friends were white girls because that’s all that was in my class.  On the playground I was teased by Blacks – I thought I was white, I hung around all the white girls and I could not salute the flag (I was raised as a Jehovah’s Witness).  So I got it coming and going.  Homeschooling is allowing me to heal those wounds.  I feel very different in a room of people who don’t look like me than when I was younger.  I am confident and I am self-assured.  I can truly honor and respect the culture of others while proudly affirming and serving my own.  In my humble expression, I believe that is what an education should give us.  I am really looking forward to Zion taking the Sankofa Math course and Black Body Chemistry course with AYA.  As Baba Wekesa said, it is not enough for our children to know they created the pyramids.  So what? Can they think and compute with the same precision as our ancestors? I’m going to bring it on home now (as they say in church), but it was a delightful experience to do Ethiopian multiplication alongside my sun yesterday.  For more information about AYA, visit: http://ayaed.com/ The 2015/2016 course descriptions will be online by July 1.

*************************
Monica Utsey
Co-founder Sankofa Homeschool Community & Sankofa Homeschool Collective
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SankofaHomeschoolCommunity/

Find Sankofa Homeschool Community on Facebook

Cherishing the Memory of My Husband

Raising and Educating African American Boys
www.chocolatecoveredboyjoy.blogspot.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Images in the Black Mind - The Color of Christ and White Supremacy

Wekesa O. Madzimoyo Take a look at Roland Martin's take on the white Jesus issue. Here "To whom much is given....” This one is for my Christian family and friends who may have slipped back into the "color of Christ doesn't matter" thinking. I don't have this discussion much anymore. Dr. Yosef Ben Jochannan settled it for me 40 + years ago, and I've not looked back since. (Dr. Ben's link at the end of this post.) In fact, I've moved forward. But this post isn't about me or religion, per se, and it's certainly not about getting you to change your faith. It's more about "racial scripting" than scripture. It's about religion as a tool for white supremacy and the domination of our people - African people. It's about our believing that God's loves for us (and God's presence in us) is not dependent on us bowing to or ignoring images of white Jesus/God/angels. It's about us caring about the psycholo

Falsification of African Consciousness - Weekend Academy Special

Web-Conference Weekend  Academy Special! AYA offers many courses designed to prepare adults and youth for advanced historical, social, and psychological analysis and synthesis. Useful for in both the university of life and academic universities, these courses will meet together on the weekends on starting Saturday, Sept. 27th. Register today! Due to popular demand, we'll offer two special courses as a part of our national web-conference-based Weekend Academy so that student who attend other institutions, home school students, and adults who work can partake. The two courses are: Falsification of African Consciousness based on the work of Dr. Amos N. Wilson The course is an introduction to Amos N. Wilson - his mission and his works. The course explores:  How  Eurocentric history-writing rationalizes and justifies European oppression of Afrikan peoples How that process creates a  false Afrikan consciousness - one possessed by an alien consciousness that serves

2020 Community Warrior-Healer-Builder Love Honoree: Mama Nobantu Ankoanda

We are proud to announce the 2020 Black Love Day Community Warrior-Healer-Builder Love Honorees. In this oppressive environment to fight, heal, and build are revolutionary acts. One of the three Community Warrior-Healer-Builder Love honorees is Mama Nobantu Ankoanda Before you can say “lets,” Mama Nobantu is in the van saying, “C’mon, let’s go.” Before you can say, “I need…” Nobantu has opened her house, extended her hand and her heart. She’s a Warrior-Healer-Building Mama! Her children grew up knowing that their mother belonged to our community. Mama Nobantu Ankoanda is an educator, teacher, former principal and founder of Afrikan centered community-based institutions in Palo Alto, California and in the Atlanta, GA Metro area. Mama Ankoanda is also Dr. Mama Nobantu. She holds a doctoral degree in Education, a Master of Arts degrees in Elementary Education and a BA in Social work. She’s earned this Black Community Warrior-Healer-Builder award because she’s been spreading love