Skip to main content

Happy Birthday, Don't Tell Yourself "No!"


In the early days, her life was my life. I was her "Christmas baby," and she taught me that I could do anything I set my mind to. I love myself because she loved me - unconditionally. She taught me to love life and to go get it. "Son, don't tell yourself, "'no." At least give them a chance to say that."
Years ago I wrote the words below as an invitation to my mother's celebration of life ceremony held in Fayetteville, NC, they are even more appropriate now as we call to her spirit:
Maggie and Cornell
"Even now her smile, her light, her love continues to shine.
As this year comes to a close let us remember the beauty of the eyes that taught us to see. Remember the smile that warmed us and chased our fears away. Remember the love that she showed. The love that taught us to love."
Today, March 15th is the birthday of both of my mothers - both of whom have passed to the spirit realm, yet remain with me daily. That's right, my father blessed me with two wonderful mothers born on the same day - Maggie Tucker Wright (featured here) and Tuessia Avery Geddie. I'll place some pictures of Mama Tuessia in another post later today.
For those of you who were touched by "Mag," "Aunt Mag," "Evangelist Maggie Tucker" join me in celebrating her life's walk by commenting below and sharing any thoughts and especially any stories of how she touched you or how you remember her.
Grandma Hettie Tucker
She got her white hair honest - as the old folks would say.
Included in this collection are pictures of Great Grandma Maggie - her namesake - and Grandma Hettie. Mom's sweetness and her white hair descended from those women. 
The door to her home and her heart was always open. Now, you had to climb over a few things to get there, but once seated, you knew you were home.
Also included in this picture set are the two wonderful fathers she gave to me - Cornell Geddie and Garrie Wright. These two men and my mother's brothers shaped the foundation of my manhood. It was they who told me that I was a man - not my age. There is a story for another day.


Brooklyn: A Snippet From The Early Days
There is one picture from her days in Brooklyn, NY (Thanks to Douglas Tucker). Memories from that period flood my brain. There she is standing behind the counter serving franks (not "hot dogs") in Uncle Johnny's restaurant. There's Aunt Rosey at Wednesday night prayer meeting. Nobody could pray as long, and as loud as Aunt Rosey! Then there was Gates Ave - just above the storefront church was Elder Pelser was the pastor. We moved to Reid Ave, then Schenck, then Sachman. Memories...
Mom in Brooklyn
While her number would "hit" occasionally, and the card games and gambling weekends did provide excitement and some relief, life for us was no crystal staircase or silver spoon.
Somehow she and the family made it sweet - anyway. I remember while engaging in the family tradition of tussling, Donald Jr. or Oscar Tucker would knock me down, she was the first to say "get up, and get back in there." While I never could win - Donald Jr. was bigger, and Oscar was quicker and stronger than both of us put together - her exhortations to keep fighting reflected her decision about how to live life - bumps, bruises and all - and her belief that I could win.
In the face of all of the things life threw at her, and at the family, doubt would creep into my mind, She would see it in my eyes, my countenance, or hear it in my tone. She'd put her arms around me, squeeze me tightly with a little shake at the tightest point and issue her constant refrain: " C'mon, we're gonna make it."
So deeply did she instill that in me, that much later when I could recognize a hint of doubt dancing in the corner of her mouth, my response was automatic: "C'mon, mom, we're gonna make it."
Love you, Mom. Happy Birthday!
Mom and Daddy Garrie Wright



Great Grandma, Maggie.
My mother's namesake

Mom and my sisters, (L-R) Angelina,
Vonzella, Susan.
Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, text

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Images in the Black Mind - The Color of Christ and White Supremacy

Wekesa O. Madzimoyo Take a look at Roland Martin's take on the white Jesus issue. Here "To whom much is given....” This one is for my Christian family and friends who may have slipped back into the "color of Christ doesn't matter" thinking. I don't have this discussion much anymore. Dr. Yosef Ben Jochannan settled it for me 40 + years ago, and I've not looked back since. (Dr. Ben's link at the end of this post.) In fact, I've moved forward. But this post isn't about me or religion, per se, and it's certainly not about getting you to change your faith. It's more about "racial scripting" than scripture. It's about religion as a tool for white supremacy and the domination of our people - African people. It's about our believing that God's loves for us (and God's presence in us) is not dependent on us bowing to or ignoring images of white Jesus/God/angels. It's about us caring about the psycholo

Falsification of African Consciousness - Weekend Academy Special

Web-Conference Weekend  Academy Special! AYA offers many courses designed to prepare adults and youth for advanced historical, social, and psychological analysis and synthesis. Useful for in both the university of life and academic universities, these courses will meet together on the weekends on starting Saturday, Sept. 27th. Register today! Due to popular demand, we'll offer two special courses as a part of our national web-conference-based Weekend Academy so that student who attend other institutions, home school students, and adults who work can partake. The two courses are: Falsification of African Consciousness based on the work of Dr. Amos N. Wilson The course is an introduction to Amos N. Wilson - his mission and his works. The course explores:  How  Eurocentric history-writing rationalizes and justifies European oppression of Afrikan peoples How that process creates a  false Afrikan consciousness - one possessed by an alien consciousness that serves

2020 Community Warrior-Healer-Builder Love Honoree: Mama Nobantu Ankoanda

We are proud to announce the 2020 Black Love Day Community Warrior-Healer-Builder Love Honorees. In this oppressive environment to fight, heal, and build are revolutionary acts. One of the three Community Warrior-Healer-Builder Love honorees is Mama Nobantu Ankoanda Before you can say “lets,” Mama Nobantu is in the van saying, “C’mon, let’s go.” Before you can say, “I need…” Nobantu has opened her house, extended her hand and her heart. She’s a Warrior-Healer-Building Mama! Her children grew up knowing that their mother belonged to our community. Mama Nobantu Ankoanda is an educator, teacher, former principal and founder of Afrikan centered community-based institutions in Palo Alto, California and in the Atlanta, GA Metro area. Mama Ankoanda is also Dr. Mama Nobantu. She holds a doctoral degree in Education, a Master of Arts degrees in Elementary Education and a BA in Social work. She’s earned this Black Community Warrior-Healer-Builder award because she’s been spreading love