Skip to main content

Jo - From The Other Side of the River

Thanks, again, Jo (Josephine Bowens Lewis) for answering the call once more.
I was talking to my grandson, Addae, tonight. He's somewhat afraid to "try on" some options to discover why he sometimes gets door-slamming angry with little apparent provocation.
He's been reluctant to try on some key WHB options designed to clear emotional substitutions - mad for sad, or mad for scared, etc. I pulled up this picture of you and took him back to one of our conversation at your home in Chapel Hill, NC. It was the one where I was afraid of being authentic with you, for fear that you'd "get into my head," that you'd be able to manipulate me or know more about me than I knew myself. Remember?
You were ten years my senior. I'd seen your work with groups and individuals as a therapist, advisor, counselor, etc. I had respect for your skills - both professional and personal, those that you acquired from your studies at the South East Institute and those that you caught from your mother and your father and his operating as a Bishop of the United Holiness Church of America in which both my mother and my grandfather were ministers.
With you, the knowledge was integrated so smoothly that no one knew from which tributary the intuition or wisdom flowed. They all seem to flow from you - or maybe through you. Either way, it never seemed a struggle. It was natural. Your flow was easy and powerful.
I was scared and didn't even know it. You sensed the conflict between the part of me that wanted to have an honest conversation - no pretense, no covers - just flowing and my verbal hedges, avoiding phrases and guarded body language.

You put words to my fears, "Do you think, I can read your mind or something?" you asked. My eyes, my countenance or maybe my denial confirmed your suspicions. Without laughter or ridicule, you reassured me like I tried to reassure my grandson:

"You are the only one who knows your thoughts or can know your thoughts. I can guess, and they are from my experience. They may be right or wrong guesses, but you are the only one who can really know what you think, what feel, what you did and what you will do."

I believed you and began to tell the truth about what I thought, what I wanted, what I liked and didn't without a million calculations about what you would think about it and, ultimately about me.

Something in the way you reassured me went beyond the message that I could trust me; you were saying that you trusted me, and trusted yourself to take care of you - with me. More than giving words to my fears, you kissed them, like a mother reassuring a child with a gentle kiss on the forehead. Even now - more than 40 years later - all I can say is damn! The freedom was incredible. My self-discovery accelerated and has yet to stop.

It wouldn't be the last time that you encouraged me to trust myself, to remind me that I didn't need to construct an artificial psychic/emotional wall to protect me. It would be years before I would discover and name "not trusting myself" a part of "injected oppression." It would be years before I discovered how many layers deep it was planted, the corners of my stories where it hid, and the various ways it would rear up from its edifice of fear.
Somehow, whenever it showed up - erecting yet another wall of pseudo-protection - your words "you can trust yourself" would help me dissolve it. In the face of your reassurance, solid stone turned into millions of fragments - getting smaller and smaller, then disappearing. In its place, I stood - authentic me - trusting that I was enough and trusting that whatever I chose to think or do would be good and would be the best thing for me. From that place, I've made masterpieces and I've made a mess, alternately applauding and growing from both.
Jo, even though you're on the other side of the river, I know you hear me and feel me - as I hear and feel you. Medase, I pray that my voice and your part in nurturing it will touch my grandson such that he grows increasingly to trust himself enough to find the authentic power that he is.



Medase, and good night. An entry from my upcoming book: Moyo Musings (Due out in the fall of 2019). This piece is in the section entitled "Through me."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Images in the Black Mind - The Color of Christ and White Supremacy

Wekesa O. Madzimoyo Take a look at Roland Martin's take on the white Jesus issue. Here "To whom much is given....” This one is for my Christian family and friends who may have slipped back into the "color of Christ doesn't matter" thinking. I don't have this discussion much anymore. Dr. Yosef Ben Jochannan settled it for me 40 + years ago, and I've not looked back since. (Dr. Ben's link at the end of this post.) In fact, I've moved forward. But this post isn't about me or religion, per se, and it's certainly not about getting you to change your faith. It's more about "racial scripting" than scripture. It's about religion as a tool for white supremacy and the domination of our people - African people. It's about our believing that God's loves for us (and God's presence in us) is not dependent on us bowing to or ignoring images of white Jesus/God/angels. It's about us caring about the psycholo

Falsification of African Consciousness - Weekend Academy Special

Web-Conference Weekend  Academy Special! AYA offers many courses designed to prepare adults and youth for advanced historical, social, and psychological analysis and synthesis. Useful for in both the university of life and academic universities, these courses will meet together on the weekends on starting Saturday, Sept. 27th. Register today! Due to popular demand, we'll offer two special courses as a part of our national web-conference-based Weekend Academy so that student who attend other institutions, home school students, and adults who work can partake. The two courses are: Falsification of African Consciousness based on the work of Dr. Amos N. Wilson The course is an introduction to Amos N. Wilson - his mission and his works. The course explores:  How  Eurocentric history-writing rationalizes and justifies European oppression of Afrikan peoples How that process creates a  false Afrikan consciousness - one possessed by an alien consciousness that serves

2020 Community Warrior-Healer-Builder Love Honoree: Mama Nobantu Ankoanda

We are proud to announce the 2020 Black Love Day Community Warrior-Healer-Builder Love Honorees. In this oppressive environment to fight, heal, and build are revolutionary acts. One of the three Community Warrior-Healer-Builder Love honorees is Mama Nobantu Ankoanda Before you can say “lets,” Mama Nobantu is in the van saying, “C’mon, let’s go.” Before you can say, “I need…” Nobantu has opened her house, extended her hand and her heart. She’s a Warrior-Healer-Building Mama! Her children grew up knowing that their mother belonged to our community. Mama Nobantu Ankoanda is an educator, teacher, former principal and founder of Afrikan centered community-based institutions in Palo Alto, California and in the Atlanta, GA Metro area. Mama Ankoanda is also Dr. Mama Nobantu. She holds a doctoral degree in Education, a Master of Arts degrees in Elementary Education and a BA in Social work. She’s earned this Black Community Warrior-Healer-Builder award because she’s been spreading love